Submissions to the Anthology opened on Friday, 16 July, and close 11.59 pm, 20 August 2021.
We invite all Australian Poetry subscribers to submit to the Australian Poetry Anthology, Volume 9 2021.
There will be a focus on WA poets, as there was on ACT poets in 2020, and NT poets in 2019, but the Anthology is national.
The Anthology will be published in Oct/Nov, with ACCEPTANCES only to be sent in October.
If you would like to support Australian Poetry, receive print copies of Australian Poetry Journal biannually, along with Australian Poetry Anthology annually, please subscribe to Australian Poetry below.
Guidelines and how to submit
- You must be a current Australian Poetry subscriber to submit and to be published.
- Poems can be previously published.
- Please send, in one email, up to three poems.
- Only three poems will be considered so please do not submit more.
- Only one poem per poet can be selected, but this does not exclude the selection of a cycle of poems.
- Each poem must be sent as a word document as well as a PDF. The PDF is used for proofing purposes.
- Please note that submissions sent outside of our submission dates will not be read or considered.
- Please also send a bio of up to 50 words and your contact (phone, postal address, email) details.
- The submission email is: email@example.com
- Please note that 2021 payment for a selected poem is a one-year print or digital subscription to Australian Poetry, with all subscriber benefits included.
- We are committed to prompt turnaround on the reading of poems.
- All poets who are accepted within the guideline submission dates will be contacted in October with acceptance notices. As with the Journal, we will not be sending rejection notices, due to the high volume of submissions received.
- A number of emerging WA poets will also be published, as part of the alumni of the Centre for Stories’ mentoring programs.
Lucy Dougan’s books include Memory Shell (5 Islands Press), White Clay (Giramondo), Meanderthals (Web del Sol) and The Guardians (Giramondo); and her prizes the Mary Gilmore Award, the Alec Bolton Award and short-listings for the 2015 Queensland Premier’s Prize for Poetry and the 2016 Victorian Premier’s Prize for Poetry. Her latest book, The Guardians, won the WA Premier’s Book Award for poetry in 2016. With Tim Dolin, she is co-editor of The Collected Poems of Fay Zwicky (UWAP, 2017).