Information and enquiries
Jacinta Le Plastrier
CEO /Publisher, Australian Poetry
Telephone: 03 9094 7829
Australian Poetry is thrilled to announce the opening date for nominations for the 2018 Anne Elder Award. The award is named after Australian poet, Anne Elder, 1918-1976. Sponsored by Anne’s daughter, Cathie, this prestigious, national, annual award is for a sole-authored first book of poetry of 20-minimum pages in length, published in Australia.
Established in 1977, the prize has offered important recognition to poets at a critical point in their writing lives, and its alumni represent some of Australia’s best-known and highly respected poets. The winner is awarded $1,000, and there is also the opportunity for the judging panel, which for the 2018 Award will comprise two judges (details to be announced), to award other books a commendation or special mention.
Key dates for the 2018 Award
Open call for entries – Monday, 21 January 2019
Close of entries – Friday, 8 March 2019, 5pm (AEST) (Books must be postmarked no later than 8 March 2019)
Winner announcement – Wednesday, 10 April 2019
Books published between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2018 are eligible for entry into the 2018 Anne Elder Award.
Submission Guidelines & Eligibility
- Open to Australian residents only
- Entries must be in English. Bilingual volumes are acceptable as long as one of the languages in which the poems are written/translated is English
- Book should be a sole-authored first collection of poetry published in 2018
- Book must be 20+ pages in length and have been legally deposited with the National Library of Australia.
- A book can only be considered a first volume if the author has not had previous volumes of poetry of 20+ pages published either in Australia or elsewhere
- Chapbooks are also eligible if they meet the above guidelines
- Entrants who have previously published in another genre are eligible as long as the entry submitted for this award is the first volume of poetry published by the author
- Co-authored entries are not eligible for the award
- Entry fee $25 (including GST) is payable at the time of entry. Payment is invited by cheque or email email@example.com to be invoiced via EFT payment
- First prize $1,000 plus certificate. Winners and commended entrants will receive a copy of Selected Poems of Anne Elder (Lauranton Press)
- The judges reserve the right not to award a prize
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Send 3 copies of the book to: Anne Elder Award Nominations, c/o Australian Poetry, Level 3, 176 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne Vic 3000.
Anne Elder was a dancer with the Borovansky Ballet in the 1940s who later in life became a fine poet. Her poetry attracted praise from many critics for its vigour, depth of reference and distinctive artistry. A biography and book of selected poems has recently been published to mark the centenary of Elder’s birth and can be ordered from the publisher, Lauranton Press, through firstname.lastname@example.org or from Readings bookshops.