NEXT SUBMISSION PERIOD: NOVEMBER 15-30
PLEASE READ INFORMATION & GUIDELINES BELOW (Updated October 2017)
The Canberra Times publishes one poem per week in its Saturday Panorama arts section, pending space availability.
The aim is to publish poems on a wide variety of themes while at the same time maintaining a balance between Canberra Region and interstate/overseas poets, emerging and established poets, male and female poets, poets from different cultural backgrounds, and poets who have published in The Canberra Times before and those who have not.
To facilitate a diverse contributor base, there is generally a gap of around 9 to 12 months left, between publishing poems by the same poet.
Please note The Canberra Times receives hundreds of poems through the year and has space for just a fraction of those. It is regretful that so many quality submissions have to be declined each time.
NB While everything possible is done to reduce the risk of a selected poem not appearing The Canberra Times cannot guarantee publication.
If you can access The Canberra Times where you live, please buy it every Saturday to support fellow poets and a newspaper that still supports poetry.
- Poems suitable for a general audience in most styles and on most subject matters are welcome.
- Please send up to 3 UNpublished poems of up to 28 lines, to email@example.com
- The 28 line maximum includes quotes/notes/references (but not title and stanza breaks).
- Attach in one Word or PDF file — please include your name in the document title. (Pasting into an email is also fine.)
- Please submit poems during designated submission periods only. Poems submitted at other times may not be seen/considered.
- You will be notified by email either way, about 6 weeks after close of submissions.
- If selected, your poem will be published about 3 to 6 months from acceptance.
- Send your stand-out poems.
- Send a variety.
- Be strategic — remember that poems are selected months in advance of publication.