This workshop will be presented online. Detailed information on participation will be provided.
Presented in creative partnership with Australian Poetry. Australian Poetry subscribers may access this workshop at Writer Victoria member rates.
Included in this course:
- 2.5 hours of guidance, information, and directed teaching
- A curated reading list for context and inspiration
- Writing exercises to help hone your craft and reinforce your new skills
- 1 hour interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and skills extension
- Personalised feedback from Jessica on a piece of writing up to 500 words
You will learn:
- How to read and evaluate long nonfiction poems for their unique contributions to both poetry and nonfiction writing
- Tips for approaching and undertaking research on the subject of your nonfiction poetry
- How to shape and structure your long poem or suite of poems
- About a range of poetry tools that can help you to develop and enrich your poetic nonfiction
- Tips for sending sections of your longform poetry to journals/magazines for publication
Schedule for the Day:
- 10 – 11:15am: First webinar with Jessica L. Wilkinson
- 11:45am – 1pm: Second webinar with Jessica L. Wilkinson
- 3 – 4pm: Interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and more casual instructions based on your experiences
- 500-word pieces to be sent to Jessica for feedback
About Jessica L. Wilkinson
Jessica L. Wilkinson has published three poetic biographies, Marionette: A Biography of Miss Marion Davies (Vagabond 2012), shortlisted for the 2014 Kenneth Slessor Award, Suite for Percy Grainger (Vagabond 2014), a poem from which won the 2014 Peter Porter Poetry Prize, and Music Made Visible: A Biography of George Balanchine (Vagabond 2019). In collaboration with composer Simon Charles, Marionette was developed into a performance work of voice, music and sound; they released an album in 2018. Jessica is the founding editor of Rabbit: a journal for nonfiction poetry—which will release its 30 th
issue in April 2020—and the offshoot Rabbit Poets Series of single-author collections. She co-edited the anthology Contemporary Australian Feminist Poetry (Hunter Publishers, 2016), and teaches Creative Writing at RMIT University, Melbourne.
Not a member?
If you’re purchasing a full price workshop at $215, consider a full price one-year membership ($75) plus member-priced workshop ($155) will cost just $230 and give you discounts on all our services plus six free copies of ‘The Victorian Writer’ magazine.
And if you have a concession card, a one-year membership ($55) plus member-concession workshop ($135) will cost you only $190.